October 20, 2015 In Uncategorized
7 Benefits from Walking and being Outdoors
Why should we walk?
- Exercise such as walking releases endorphins in our brains and this makes us feel better.
- Medical and General Practitioners advise us that walking outdoors in nature can support us with many health issues such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and aid us with post cancer fatigue.
- Even leisurely walking outdoors improves our mood, self- esteem, and increases our motivation.
- When we walk in sunshine – we absorb Vitamin D and this helps us to reduce our levels of depression/low mood.
- When we walk outdoors in nature it can inspire and support us to grow, heal and learn, develop a sense of belonging, whilst restoring our self acceptance.
- After walking outdoors for even a short time – we are less likely to feel or tell ourselves we are ‘stuck’.
- Walking outdoors is good for the planet. Ecotherapy and ecopsychology are based on the assumption that as humans we have an innate instinct to connect emotionally with nature. In doing so we tend to care more for nature and become more aware of the poor treatment our planet receives from humankind. This reduces defence mechanisms such as avoidance and denial allowing us to move into a more accepting, caring and centred place.
Enjoy your walk…